In this post, you will learn how to use the adverb EVEN in natural English conversation. Learn 2 ways to use this adverb with 12 real examples and 2 helpful infographics!
|EVEN – adverb|
|① used to emphasize something unexpected or surprising|
|“I see the same woman doing yoga in the park every morning, even if it’s raining.”|
|② to make a comparison stronger|
|“This new TV was only $850! It was even cheaper than I thought.”|
I was talking to my Canadian friend last week who also lives in Japan. We were talking about how hard many Japanese people work. They will not miss work, even if they are sick!
We often use the adverb even in natural conversation, so I thought it would make a nice blog post. It can help people who study English sound more natural. Please look at the examples below:
(Definitions from Oxford Learner’s Dictionary)
used to emphasize something unexpected or surprising
I see the same woman doing yoga in the park every morning, even if it’s raining. (It’s surprising to see someone doing yoga in the park when it’s raining.)
My whole family came to my birthday party! Even my brother who lives in Rio. (I didn’t expect my brother to come from Brazil for my party.)
to make a comparison stronger
This new TV was only $850! It was even cheaper than I thought. (The price of the TV was much lower than I thought.)
None of us could believe how great Jenna looked at the reunion. She was even more beautiful than we remembered. (Compared to our memories she was much more beautiful.)
We can use even before a verb
Mark loves to eat sushi, he even goes to the most expensive restaurant in Tokyo. Dinner at the restaurant is around $200!
When I was young I collected comic books. I even had the first issue The X-men.
We also say not even
Wade lost his wallet Friday night. He didn’t even have enough money for a subway ticket. He had to walk home, 18 km.
My arms are so tired from helping Trevor move yesterday. I can’t even lift my backpack today.
Check out my latest great English posts!
- The Prefix OUT- (62 Common examples – Video – free PDF)I’m always on the lookout for new prefixes to help English students increase their vocabulary quickly. This post will help you use the prefix …
- The Prefix SUB- (32 Examples・Free 9-page PDF・Video)Learning prefixes is an awesome way to increase your English vocabulary. This post will teach you how to use the prefix sub- with lots …
- 24 Common English Idioms (Sound Like a Native)Idioms are an important part of casual English conversation. This post will be a great resource as you try to increase your knowledge of …
- Prefixes and Suffixes (Your Complete Guide with PDF)Increase your English vocabulary with the Root Word technique using prefixes and suffixes. I use this technique with my private students here in Japan. …
- English Prepositions with Verbs ending in -ING (+ Video)English Grammar – Learn to use English prepositions In this post, you will learn to use English prepositions, listen to natural English that uses …