Broken links are now fixed!
Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your patience!
Speak with CONFIDENCE
An English grammar topic that I spend a lot of time teaching my private and company students is prepositions. All parts of grammar are helpful to learn, but I like to teach these small bits of grammar for two reasons.
- These little words are easy to confuse. Probably because there are so many of them.
- When I started using prepositions correctly in Japanese (my own second language) it really increased my confidence.
*Confidence is more important than perfect grammar – for most English communication. I’m confident to use Japanese because I can be understood (most of the time!). If I am taking with someone in Japanese, and I understand them and they understand me, this is successful communication. Even if I use incorrect grammar I can be understood. Correct grammar comes from practice. If you are not confident to practice, it’s hard to improve.
Below is a list of 11 blog posts that I have written about English prepositions over the past 5 years. + 4 preposition QUIZ posts to test your understanding. Please use these posts to increase your own English confidence, and your overall English skill!
- Prepositions + verbs ~ing
- The preposition BY – 5 different uses, 15 natural examples
- Use the English preposition FOR like a native speaker
- English prepositions To and INTO + verbs of movement
- IN, AT & ON with places
- IN, AT & ON with time
- On time / In time
- In the paper – On TV
- Other uses for the preposition IN
- Other uses for the preposition AT
- Other uses for the preposition ON
Language Improvement Cycle
I also noticed that if I knew the correct preposition to use in a sentence, I was more confident to talk. So prepositions are great points to study because they will increase your confidence. When you are more confident, you use English more. You use English more, and as a result, your English gets better. You improve.
- World News Headline preposition QUIZ
- Preposition QUIZ week! Quiz #1
- Preposition QUIZ week! Quiz #2
- Preposition QUIZ week! Quiz #3
Check out these other great blog posts!
- English suffix EN (Increase your vocabulary)
- Reported speech – English grammar (with video!)
- Talk using real English (Canada Trip Pt. 3)
- Learn English with a story (Canada trip Pt.2)
- Learn English with a story (My Canada trip Pt.1)
Was this post helpful for you? Please leave a comment and share with the buttons below!