Stay WITH or Stay AT?
One of my students was telling about a trip her daughter will take to America this summer. I asked her where she will stay and we practiced using some English prepositions.
My daughter is going to New York next week. She will stay with a friend at her family home so I’m not worried.
The basic pattern is:
|We stay WITH people|
|She will stay with a friend…|
|We stay AT a place|
|…at her family home.|
WITH and AT preposition definitions
One way we use the preposition with is – in the company of someone
“She will stay with her classmate.” – She will stay in the company of her classmate
The preposition with LINK
One way we use the preposition at is – where something happens
“She will stay at a beachside hotel.” The hotel is the place where she will stay.
The preposition at LINK
FREE English newsletter
Get awesome English PDFs and more right in your inbox!
The verb STAY
Stay is an intransitive verb LINK
Infinitive – TO STAY
I just want to stay in bed today.
Present simple – STAY
I stay at the Prince Hotel whenever I go to Hawaii.
Present simple Third-person singular – STAYS
Thomas always stays with his brother when he comes to Toronto.
Past simple – STAYED
I stayed at a budget hotel near the airport, but it was very dirty.
Past participle – STAYED
Denise has never stayed at a budget hotel, only the best for her!
…has never stayed… is the perfect tense. HAVE/HAS + the past participle. Learn more about perfect tense grammar HERE]
Continuous tense – STAYING
Keith is staying with his parents during his visit. You can reach him there.
Stay with and Stay at – example sentences
Staying with friends and relatives is cheaper than staying at a hotel.
A: “When you visit Canada will you stay with your parents?”
B: “Their new house is quite small so I’ll stay at a hotel this time.”
I just want a place to sleep, I don’t need to stay at a fancy hotel with a pool, a spa, or a gym.
You can stay with me. I have an extra room. (Person)
You can stay at my place. I have an extra room. (Place)
I used Air BnB when I went to Seattle, I stayed at a retired couple’s house for 3 days. The room was very nice.
Air BnB is a place to find private homes that rent out spare rooms for a lower price than a hotel.
For this example, we used the preposition at because we are talking about the retired couple’s home. (place)
It would still be okay to say “I stayed with a retired couple.” For me though, this is not as natural. The homeowners are not friends or family. This is still a business activity, it’s just at a private house. The preposition with doesn’t fit this situation for me.
Find more ways to use the preposition AT here:
Verbs with prepositions TO and AT – Easy Grammar (Video+PDF)
Check out these other great posts!
- Learn the difference between HOPE and WISH (An EASY Guide)The difference between HOPE and WISH The verbs HOPE and WISH both mean to want something. The difference between HOPE and WISH is that we …
- How to use During and While – Learn FAST! (Video too)Use this English grammar correctly in natural conversation.
- Much or Many? Easy English grammar w/Video (2021)Much Much is used with uncountable nouns like smoke, water, money “There is too much smoke in this restaurant.” Many Many is used with plural …
- UNLESS or AS LONG AS? (Learn FAST with ⚞Audio⚟)In today’s blog post learn how to use the conjunction unless and the expression as long as in natural conversation. Use this English grammar like …
- Learn How to use LEND and BORROW (with Video)Learn to use the English verbs “Lend” and “Borrow” correctly in natural conversation. This post also contains a video. Watch it to review the lesson …