Simple Present Tense
I drink a cup of coffee every morning.
The verb “drink” is in the Simple Present Tense
Simple Present Tense ENGLISH Verbs
Some of my students and business clients in Japan have trouble using English verbs in the simple present tense. Using different verb tenses can be difficult in your second language.
I made an English Verb Course to explain the basics. This post is a preview of the Simple Present Tense textbook. It will explain the basic rules of this verb grammar and get you started.
We use the simple present tense to talk about things that happen regularly, often or are true in general.
“It rains a lot in April.” → This is generally true.
“I wake up at 7:00 am every day.” → I always wake up at 7:00, I do it regularly.
*(wake up is a phrasal verb – wake is in the simple present tense)
Sentences with HE, SHE, and IT as the subject
Sentences with he, she, and it as the subject will add s/es to the end of the verb.
“She plays the drums.”
“Jacob watches baseball every Monday at the park.”
*proper names like Jacob, Christine, etc. follow the he/she rule*“My car (it) sounds strange. I will take it to the garage.”
Questions and Negative statements
We use the auxiliary (helper) verb do/does to ask questions and to make negative statements in the simple present tense.
“Do you know what time it is?”
“Does Arnold Schwarzenegger live in LA?”
“I don’t know what time it is.”
“Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn’t live in Seattle.”
Thanks for reading this post, I hope it was helpful. ☻ If you are interested in learning how to use different English verb tenses check out my Premium Verb Course.
Step by Step program – Private videos – Full QUIZ units – Custom-made printable worksheets – Grammar Connect Method
$25.00 NOW just $15.00 for the next 50 students – Get your course today!
My 5 newest, awesome English blog posts
- How to use the English prepositions IN, AT, ONIn this post you will learn how to correctly use the English prepositions IN, AT, ON for time and place. 8 custom infographics and LOTS …
- Good AT or Good WITH? Confusing English + video (2021)Do you need to say Good at or Good with in your sentence? Which is correct? Read this post and learn how to use these …
- Nouns with Prepositions – Lists with examples (Intermediate)Learning how to use nouns with prepositions is important in English grammar. We often see prepositions used with verbs to explain relations in TIME and …
- Autumn Or Fall? Names Of The 4 Seasons (English Study)English vocabulary – Autumn or Fall? 4 seasons name origins Late September until December is Fall in the Northern half of the world. Sorry, I …
- Verbs with the prepositions TO and AT (Video + PDF)Learn how to use verbs with prepositions in this post. The prepositions TO and AT are used with some common English verbs. Read lots of …
Learn English for FREE!
Get an awesome English PDF in your inbox every week for 9 weeks.