Smell a Rat
This idiom is used to show that you suspect someone of being dishonest or you think that something dishonest is happening.
- He’s been working late with his cute new secretary every night. He never worked late before she started at the company. I smell a rat!
- I don’t know what it is, but I smell a rat. Something about this deal just doesn’t seem right.
- When I saw him whispering to the boss, I immediately smelled a rat. They’re up to something, I just know it.
This Idiom can be found with other helpful Rat and Mouse Idioms here >>> Worldenglishblog.com/rats-and-mice-idiom
Hating people is like burning down your own house to get rid of a rat.Harry Emerson Fosdick
My 20 most recent Idiom posts
- Dragon Idioms – 8 Common uses (Real example sentences)
- 22 Dead/Zombie Idioms (Examples, free PDF, Real Photos!)
- 10 Idioms with PIG (Learn FAST with pictures and examples)
- 16 Common Monkey Idioms (REAL Examples and Video)
- Idioms with the word Sweet (Real Examples + Video)
- Beat the Heat meaning (Plus more Heat Idioms just for you)
- Make Yourself at Home: 27 Common House Idioms (Free PDF)
- Feline Phrases: Understanding Cat Idioms (Free PDF Download)
- Listen Up! Understanding the Meaning of EAR IDIOMS
- Smell a Rat – English Idiom
- Mouse Potato – English Idiom
- The Rat Race – English Idiom
- Play cat and mouse with (someone) – English Idiom
- Like A Drowned Rat – English Idiom
- (As) Poor as a Church Mouse – English Idiom
- 31 Bird Idioms (Real Example Sentences + Free 7-page PDF)
- 24 English Idioms with COLD (Video and Free PDF Download)
- 31 English Idioms with EYE (Free PDF – Real Examples)
- 14 Common Apple Idioms (Example sentences, Free PDF, Video)
- 17 Idioms With Hold, Grasp, and Grab (Real Examples + Video)