Smell a Rat
This idiom is used to show that you suspect someone of being dishonest or you think that something dishonest is happening.
- He’s been working late with his cute new secretary every night. He never worked late before she started at the company. I smell a rat!
- I don’t know what it is, but I smell a rat. Something about this deal just doesn’t seem right.
- When I saw him whispering to the boss, I immediately smelled a rat. They’re up to something, I just know it.
This Idiom can be found with other helpful Rat and Mouse Idioms here >>> Worldenglishblog.com/rats-and-mice-idiom
Hating people is like burning down your own house to get rid of a rat.Harry Emerson Fosdick
My 20 most recent Idiom posts
- Smell a Rat – English Idiom
- Mouse Potato – English Idiom
- The Rat Race – English Idiom
- Play cat and mouse with (someone) – English Idiom
- 31 Bird Idioms (Real Example Sentences + Free 7-page PDF)
- 24 English Idioms with COLD (Video and Free PDF Download)
- 31 English Idioms with EYE (Free PDF – Real Examples)
- 14 Common Apple Idioms (Example sentences, Free PDF, Video)
- 17 Idioms With Hold, Grasp, and Grab (Real Examples + Video)
- 21 Common Dog Idioms That Native Speakers Use (Video+PDF)
- Goat and Sheep Idioms (Definitions, Real Examples, Video)
- Idioms with Rooster (Definitions, REAL Examples, Video)
- 24 Common English Idioms (Sound Like a Native)
- 16 Common Cow Idioms (REAL Examples and Video)
- 16 Common Monkey Idioms (REAL Examples and Video)
- Learn Common English Idioms with Stop (30 example sentences)
- Dragon Idioms – 8 Common uses (Real example sentences)
- Idioms with Snake (Double Meanings and Example sentences)
- Horse Idioms (21 Common Example Sentences PLUS Video)
- Idioms with the word Sweet (Over 20 Real Examples + Video)