Present Continuous Tense
I am drinking coffee.
“am drinking” is the Present Continuous Tense
English grammar – Present continuous tense verbs
The present continuous tense uses a form of the verb to be + (verb) -ing.
A: “Let’s call Kevin!”
B: “It’s only 7:00 am, I think he is sleeping.”
Negative – present continuous
We use NOT with the present continuous to show something isn’t happening at the time of speaking.
“Let’s go out, it’s not raining anymore.”
Other use – present continuous
We can also use the present continuous tense if an action has started but not yet finished, even if the action is not happening at the time of speaking.
“I’m reading the biography of Apple founder Steve Jobs now, it’s interesting.”
-At the time I am writing this sentence I am not reading the book. I’ve started reading the book last week but I haven’t finished it yet.
Thanks for reading this post, I hope it was helpful. ☻ If you are interested in learning how to use different English verb tenses check out my Premium Verb Course.
Step by Step program – Private videos – Full QUIZ units – Custom-made printable worksheets – Grammar Connect Method
$25.00 NOW just $15.00 for the next 50 students – Get your course today!
My 5 newest, awesome English blog posts
- Quickly Learn vocabulary – Root words with prefixes and suffixes (Video+PDF)Increase your English vocabulary with this simple technique. I use this technique with my private students here in Japan. Increase English vocabulary with Prefixes and …
- Use Olympic vocabulary correctly – Qualify/QualifiedThe 2020 Tokyo summer Olympics began on July 23rd, 2021. The Olympics are one year behind schedule due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus. They …
- How to use English Adjectives – Fact or Opinion? (PDF + video)English Adjectives Fact or Opinion In English, we use adjectives to describe nouns. The adjective we use can be a FACT (red) or an OPINION …
- Each or Every – Choose correctly every time (2021)My students often wonder – Should I use Each or Every? It’s a great question! I did some research and made this lesson to answer …
- Advanced news story – Improve your vocabularyImprove your vocabulary with an advanced news story This is a blog post that I wrote in 2014 with vocabulary for advanced English students. The …